- You need sane-1.0 or newer (since sane-1.0.4: sane-backends-1.0.4 or newer) installed!
If you installed sane from an rpm binary, you also have to install sane-devel.rpm !!!
Pay attention the sane-rpm and sane-devel-rpm are of the same version.
Sane-0.xx is NOT SUPPORTED!
- You need gtk+-1.2.x and suitable glib-1.2.x (I suggest to use gtk+-1.2.5 or newer).
If you install it as rpm you also may need the suitable *-devel Packages.
- For png support you need libz and libpng installed!
- For jpeg support you need jpeglib installed!
- For tiff support you need libtiff installed!
- gcc (tested with gcc-v18.104.22.168 and 2.95.2), don`t use g++/c++ compilers,
- the egcs compiler sometimes makes problems!!!
- the redhat gcc 2.96 is not an offical gcc version, it is known to make problems
with sane & xsane.
- To run xsane as gimp plugin: gimp has to be installed before configuring and
compiling xsane. If you install it as rpm you also may need a gimp-devel package.
COMPILATION AND INSTALLATION:
DO THE FOLLOWING AS NORMAL USER, NOT AS ROOT:
- Unpack the xsane archiv in a directory of your choice.
- Enter xsane-0.xx directory.
- To compile call ./configure and make.
- When you already called ./configure it may be good to do a
before you call ./configure again.
If that does not work, remove config.cache:
rm -f config.cache
THE FOLLOWING POSSIBLY HAS TO BE DONE AS ROOT:
- Call make install
DO THE FOLLOWING AS NORMAL USER:
- Call xsane.
- If you get an error message that libsane-dll.so.1 or libsane-so.1 is not found, you have to
tell your system where the SANE-libraries are installed.
- On some systems the library directory "/usr/local/lib" is not searched by the
system�s dynamic library loader. If SANE is installed in "/usr/local/..."
you have to tell your systems dynamic library loader to search in "/usr/local/lib".
For linux: add the path "/usr/local/lib" to /etc/ld.so.conf and call ldconfig (as root).
In this case also make sure that /usr/local/bin is in your path!
- For sane-1.0.1 you have to add a line with the path to the SANE libraries
(normally /usr/local/lib/sane) to /etc/ld.so.conf and call ldconfig (as root).
For sane-1.0.2 (and later versions) the path to the SANE libs (normally /usr/local/lib/sane)
MUST NOT be listed in /etc/ld.so.conf (don`t mix it with the path /usr/local/lib that
has to be listed in /etc/ld.so.conf)
If something does not work like expected read file xsane.PROBLEMS
XSANE AS GIMP PLUGIN
To run xsane as gimp plugin it has to be compiled with gimp support
(you need package gimp, gimp-devel and may be pkg-tool) before you
To run xsane under the gimp(1), simply set a symbolic link from the xsane-binary to one of
the gimp(1) plug-ins directories. (Read the manpage of xsane for more details)!
DO NOT RUN XSANE AS ROOT!